Ive stayed inside and have been working on the babys bedding..
Ive got one whole side of the crib dust ruffle/skirt complete.
i decided to do a box pleat dust ruffle...I dont have pictures for every step but ill do the best i can...i started off by measuring the length and height of the side i wanted to sew it for...( 52 inches long, 18 inches long) . i then measured the fabric out leaving one extra inch or so for the top and bottom seams and then measured out the length ( added 10 inces or so for the pleat and hems..) i used lightweight iron on binding to make the seams then sewed over afterwards..
bottom seam after bonding...before sewing
after making the upper and lower seams i measured 52 1/2 inches from each end and created my pleats and ironed them down creating the creases.
This is where i wish id done a fewn things a bit differently.. and will next time...
the next step was to add the lower trim.. id originally started on the backside and turned it... next time i will start in the front with the lightweight bod tape ( helps me get my seams straight) the turn to backside...anyways i got the trim on and then it was time to add the inner black.
i just used the lightweight bonding tape on each side of the creases and edges of the fold and ironed down the piece of fabric.. then folded in the sides to create the hem...
i re-ironed to reset the creases.. i should have sewn the black down at this time.. would have made it much easier.
i sewed the seam on the top, pinning down the upper creases to set the pleat.. i also seamed the lower hem ( leaving the bottom crease open) and sewed the black in... which ill admit was a bit difficult.. then after measuring the length and hemming the outer sides it is complete!!
now to attach it!! i have currently pinned on ties and am considering making them permanent or maybe using velcro on the back of the dust ruffle and the outter side of the mattress frame.. but im proud of how its turned out..
im sorry about the bad 'tutorial' if thats what you even want to call it.. but i created this from scrath ( no pattern) and im very pleased with the finished product. i still need to make one more of these for the other side, and also the end pieces... looking forward to the crib bedding being complete!!